Friday, February 4, 2011

Mrs. Minniver and Salad with Creme Fraiche Dressing

I love this exchange between Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon in the movie, "Mrs. Minniver".  He had just bought a new car, she had just bought a new hat and they were each trying to tell the other about their extravagances.

Pidgeon: "A new tire shouldn't cost more than, say, a new hat?"
Garson:  "A new hat?"   (she tries on her new hat)
Pidgeon:  "What is that?"
Garson:  "Do you like it?  I bought it today."
Pidgeon:  "It's very pretty."
Garson:  "Then it was worth the money.  Clem, I think we are 
          very lucky people, we've got a new car and a new hat!"

She spent a bit of time in her kitchen in that movie.  It is where she encountered the German flier. I wonder if she had a bowl of creme fraiche curing on the counter?

Ah, creme fraiche...it can be expensive, but it is really very easy to make.  When I have a bowl on the counter my husband thinks he is married to a French housewife.  I like to have it around mostly so I can recreate the Little Gem lettuce salad with creme fraiche dressing that they make at Chez Panisse restaurant.  It will make anyone eat their greens.  I usually make half a recipe unless we have guests or to make ice cream.  It is also delicious on baked fruit.  I am preparing a bowl today. 

creme fraiche

2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup yogurt (I like goat yogurt, or greek style)

In a pretty, very clean ceramic bowl, that is just big enough to hold the mixture, gently whisk together the cream, buttermilk and yogurt.  Cover with cling film and set on the counter in a warm part of the kitchen.  If it is a cold day, set it near or on the stove.  It will take two or three days to thicken, the longer you leave it out, the thicker it will be.  Gently whisk it in the morning to blend and check thickness.  When it is to your liking store it in the fridge.  It will thicken a bit more.  I like it pretty thick.


Little Gem Lettuce Salad


feeds 4 people

2 heads Little Gem lettuce (or 1 head butter lettuce if out of    season), washed and torn into big bite size pieces
Seeds from 1/2 a pomegranate
creme fraiche dressing


creme fraiche dressing


3 tbs. creme fraiche
juice of 1 small lemon
1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
big pinch of sea salt


Whisk all ingredients together, toss with prepared lettuce, and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.


I always think I have made enough, but my family are big salad eaters and always want more. 

To see the latest collection of Zazu & Violets' hats, please visit our on-line Etsy shop.
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment