Monday, April 4, 2011

A Smart Hat and Shepherd's Pie

"If a woman rebels against high-heeled shoes, she should take care to do it in a very smart hat."

This is a quote from George Bernard Shaw, and I instantly could relate to it.  I have always preferred to have my feet firmly on the ground. We live in a walking city and I had four kids to run after.

There were the black penny loafer years. At the time they went with my entire wardrobe.  I loved it when that old shoe brand, Hush Puppies, came out with a platform loafer in lots of colors.  Of course I got black ones.  Then numerous pairs of ballet flats with skinny black pants, a la Audrey Hepburn in "Sabrina".  Great crown- like hat in that movie.

And I always wore a hat.  I like to think they were smart hats.  I made most of them myself.  My favorite hat for spring and summer was a lightweight straw that I bought in a vintage shop.  It was from the 1930's, with a shallow crown and it fitted me perfectly.  When I first opened my hat shop I used it for inspiration on a display and someone stole it.  I have never forgotten that hat.

I now have a good collection of pretty flats, but my favorite attire is a pair of sturdy boots and a good sun hat.  One I have made myself that is perfect for tromping around town or up in the hills.  The sort of boots and hat you would wear tending sheep in the mountains.  Makes me think of shepherd's pie.

So yesterday for dinner I made the best shepherd's pie.  It was easily the most delicious one ever, probably because of my sheep tending inspiration.

Shepherd's Pie

serves 4 people


1 1/2 lbs. ground lamb (I buy lamb steaks and grind it myself on a coarse grind)
1 bunch dark kale
1 bunch small carrots, cut into coins
8 oz. frozen peas
1 fennel bulb, diced
1 tbs. fresh chopped rosemary
6 medium russet potatoes, peeled, cubed, cooked in boiling salted water, drained and mashed with 3 tbs. butter and 1/2 cup milk
2 cups grated sharp cheddar, I love the English coastal cheddar from Dorset, you can get it at Trader Joe's
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmegiano-Reggiano

After you grind the lamb, set it in the fridge while you prep everything else.

Thoroughly wash the kale, strip the leaves from the stems, chop the stems and leaves separately.  Sauté the kale stems first in olive oil, add the leaves and cook until tender.  It helps to add a little salt and a splash of water. Cover during cooking.  Set aside.

Steam the carrots until they are just tender, set aside.
Let the peas come to room temperature.

Sauté the fennel in olive oil and 2 tbs. butter until softened, add the ground lamb, a sprinkle of salt, the rosemary and cook until the lamb is browned.  Add the kale.  This is the bottom layer of your pie.  Put it into a big ceramic baker so that it is half way up the sides.  For the middle layer, scatter on the carrots and peas.  Spread the mashed potatoes on the top to completely cover, sprinkle on the cheeses.

Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven until the cheese is browned, about 30-35 minutes.


Serve family style. A humble dish and a complete meal, inspired by the shepherds.

To see the latest collection of Zazu & Violets' hats, please visit our on-line Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment