Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hatshadows and Black Bean Soup

"Whenever you wear your hat, your day will be special."

This is a quote from Margo Nickel, the milliner at Hatshadows.  I completely agree.  I often have a more interactive day when I am out and about in a hat.  I get noticed, people ask about my hats, and I get lots of new customers.  Wearing a hat is infectious. When I am wearing one of my hats and am complimented, I know I am a step closer to convincing people that you don't have to be eccentric to wear hats. 

I don't consider myself eccentric and I don't wear outrageous creations to run errands, but I feel special and it is noticed.  I save the crazier confections for a special occasion.  When my grandson, J.J. wants something special he orders up my black bean soup.

Black Bean Soup

serves 4 

1 1/2 cups black beans
3-4 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock
2 tsp. salt
1/2 fennel bulb, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1/4 cup tomatillo sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro


In a dutch oven, cover the beans with water, bring to a boil, then turn off the heat for 1 hour.  After 1 hour, drain the water and add 3 cups of the stock. Cook on med-low heat until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.  Add 1 tsp. salt, more stock if needed, then puree with an immersion blender.  


While the beans are cooking, saute the fennel, celery, and carrots in olive oil until softened. Add the tomatillo sauce, cumin and salt. Mix with the cooked beans, add the cilantro, taste for seasoning and add more salt and more stock if needed.

Garnish with lemon slices, creme fraiche, and a few cilantro leaves.

Eat with buttermilk biscuits, another special favorite of J.J.'s.  He has declared black bean soup his favorite yummy meal!

To see the latest collection of Zazu & Violets' hats, please visit our on-line Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment